Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Really!?!

This afternoon I find myself imagining that I am sitting at the Saturday Night Live news desk with Amy Poehler & Seth Meyer participating in a Really!?! conversation about allergies and how truly absurd they are!

In my head the conversation is going a little like this…

I never had allergies until I moved to Texas…REALLY!?!

There is yellow pollen/dust on the hood of my car….REALLY!?!

I had to use my inhaler before my run yesterday…REALLY!?!

B has started to cough and sneeze in the past 24 hours…REALLY!?!

B sneezed several times this morning…REALLY!?!

B’s little nose looks like a water faucet….REALLY!?!

B has been really cuddly and not his typical explorer-like self….REALLY!?!

I called B’s pediatrician today….REALLY!?!

B’s pediatrician called back and said that one out of every two calls they are receiving today is about sneezing, coughing, drippy noses…REALLY!?!

B’s pediatrician suggested that B start taking allergy medicine…REALLY!?!

I go to the doctor once a week for allergy shots….REALLY!?!

I take what seems like a bazillion types of medicines to keep my allergies in check…REALLY!?!

Allergies are expensive…REALLY!?!

We don’t get to enjoy ceiling fans because of allergies…REALLY!?!

We don’t get to enjoy having our windows open on nice days….REALLY!?!

Is this just a  bonus for choosing to live in this part of the country, I mean ….REALLY!?!

(okay, so I know that I am not nearly as funny as Amy and Seth…but I will humbly admit that I laughed to myself as this thought process came to fruition.)

Really,

I don’t mean to complain, I am trying to find humor in all of this, I know deep down that I have lots of things to be thankful for…I mean I get to wear flip flops almost year round and there isn’t any thing like Texas blue sky on a beautiful spring day…but I don’t remember signing up for allergies…REALLY!?!

It is my sincere hope that B will not have to experience the “gift” of allergies like I have…. so pollen, pollen go away and please don’t ever come back to our neck of the wood to play!

2 comments:

  1. So sorry to hear about that. I just heard that up hear the allergies are going to be awful since we got no snow in the month of March. I think this is a little funny because everyone is talking about how record breaking that was for us to get no snow and what a wonderful start to the spring we got but then the downside kicks in. Mark had to do a few saline rinses last night because his eyes were almost swollen shut from something in the air. Sadly, there are always downsides to joys like less snow! You and B are in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My co-worker slipped me a few pills yesterday after enduring my nasty sniffling and obnoxious sneezing a hundred times over.

    Thank goodness for medicine because allergies are gross!

    ReplyDelete