Saturday, April 3, 2010

Concoction Week = Clean Slate

On Thursday, I went to go make dinner and realized that we really didn’t have anything that really sounded good…so I set out (in our kitchen) to search for items that sounded good and tried  to “concoct” an edible and hopefully tasty dinner creation.

These are the items that I found…

1 box of pasta

1 can of Italian diced tomatoes

Frozen chicken tenderloins

Italian Bread Crumbs

Mozzarella Cheese

I thawed the chicken, placed it in a pan, poured bread crumbs over it and baked it for 30 minutes.  Meanwhile I boiled the pasta and added the tomatoes and cheese. When the chicken was done, I placed the chicken on top of the pasta…believe it or not, it was pretty good (if I don’t say so myself).

This dinner “concoction” got us thinking. We have realized that our refrigerator “dying” on us  has turned into a blessing. Yes, we lost everything in both the refrigerator and the freezer, but that forced us to clean out, making us realize that we didn’t even know what had been stashed in the back of both sides!  We really were wasting quite a bit of food by not realizing that we had it…really who needs five bags of frozen veggies? I can’t tell you how freeing it is to now open the freezer and be able to see all the way to the back…seriously! It is awesome!

This freedom has gotten both C and I to think that it might be nice for our pantry to be the same way.  We don’t want to be drastic and throw everything in the pantry out to have a clean slate…that would be expensive and a waste so, this next week has been dubbed “Concoction Week” in our household. We are going to try to make meals out of things that we already have and not purchase any unnecessary items on our trip to the grocery store this weekend…of course B will get his typical items and we will need milk etc. but other than that it will be anything goes style at our house for dinner…

We’ll see how it goes, I am sensing there may be dinners that include pancakes, random bread mixes, random cans of soup and jars of salsa and jams…who knows! (the pantry really isn’t that big, but it is amazing how much stuff we have stuffed into it!

Maybe this will empower us enough to tackle drawers, closets, my car, the garage and dare I say the attic?

We’ll see?

IMG_2139

So long random food items that have been residing in the pantry!

No comments:

Post a Comment