Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Little Shopper

Grocery shopping in our neck of the wood has turned into a family affair. C is gracious to join B and I each weekend as we pick out the next week’s necessities. I have come to enjoy the company and the help.

B used to sit up in the cart, while C pushed and I pulled items from the shelf to place in the cart. That was our habit until B started walking…now I push the cart while C and B follow down the grocery aisle.

B typically babbles as he walks and only occasionally tries to touch items on the shelf. When he does try to touch the items, C swoops down to remind him not to touch and then tells B in a very deep voice what the item is called…(for examples “BEANS", those are BEANS”…really the entire shopping trip has turned into a vocabulary lesson for B and anyone else shopping in our little family’s proximity. 

The entire grocery experience has become a highlight of the weekend for me.

IMG_3869IMG_3870 

A little side note, in effort to not paint too rosy of a picture:

About 15 minutes after these photos were snapped, B found a toy that he thought would be fun to pull off the shelf and play with. When he was politely encouraged to put the toy back, he fell to his knees, threw his hands down and started to cry and whine in a “full out fit” sort of way.  I tried to keep my cool (all while I know my face was about as red as the shopping cart), got down on his level  and told him “No, sir. You need to obey. We have to put the toy back”. This was really difficult because you can’t reason with an 18 month olds.  When he continued his fit, I picked him up and barreled him into the seat on the shopping cart.

Putting my pride aside, he seemed to catch the point and was not happy about having his new found walking freedom be taken away.

I was embarrassed, but realized that this is all part of the process of training B to honor obedience and B’s obedience is much more important than my pride.

Be blessed.

1 comment:

  1. I appreciate reading your posts. I had a similar experience for the first time in Target with A just a few days ago. Good to know I'm not alone, and thank you for the reminder that his obedience is worth more than my pride! Though at the time my face was certainly red!
    -Jessica Matz

    ReplyDelete