Monday, August 16, 2010

Big Time Nostalgic!

I rarely open those envelopes filled with coupons that find their way to our mail box each week…mostly because I have flipped through the coupons in the past and have never found a coupon really worth using, most are for carpet cleaning, new gutters, swimming pools etc.

For whatever reason, I opened last week’s envelope and discovered a coupon for a free smoothie at Smoothie King near TCU. I am rarely one to turn down anything that is free so I saved the coupon in hope that B and I might be able to cool off one afternoon.

Yesterday, as  I cleaned the kitchen in anticipation for another week, I discovered the smoothie coupon which was about to expire.  In effort to take advantage of the deal, I made it my plan to take B on a morning walk around TCU (with the free smoothie in tow).

B enjoyed the smoothie, as I did as well.

But what we both found even more enjoyable than the free treat was the hustle and bustle that was taking place around the campus. We got to see the soccer team, track team, football team and percussion line practice. We got to see students moving into the myriad of dorm rooms on campus and we got to hear the shouts and cheers of the sorority houses gearing up for recruitment which starts this week. Hearing the cheers brought me back, I remembered the words and found myself singing to myself (I know I am a little dorky).

I found myself being hit by this huge wave of nostalgia. As we walked and watched the happenings I began to do some simple math and realized that it is 10 years ago this week that I made my trek south to TCU, moved into my dorm room and nervously got ready for the craziness of the sorority recruitment to begin…wow! has time flown by!

Walking around the campus reminded me of how grateful I am to have had the college experience that I did and grateful for my parents who helped to make that experience possible.

It really is fun to live in a college town, especially if the college is one where you attended and have fond memories. Our hopes and dreams are that  B might someday have his own special college experience…whether he becomes a Horned Frog or not (no pressure)…We hope it will mean as much to him as it did to us.

Here’s to the Frogs and to coupon clipping!

(This is a new Horned Frog statue that we discovered as we walked).

IMG00060-20100816-0925

Happy Monday!

Be blessed.

p.s. the chicken thawing experiment was a success!

No comments:

Post a Comment