Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Back in the Saddle Again

The past week in our neck of the wood has been spent trying to get back into the swing of things after spending the month of July up north.

Spending the month up north was a such a gift, not to mention an incredible reprieve from the hot Texas heat. It was so fun to experience my old stomping ground as a mom for an extended period of time and it was neat for my Minnesota family to get to experience B for more than a quick visit. We got to swim at the pool I grew up swimming at, played at the cabin, walked around lakes, visited with family and friends, ate at some of my favorite places…we really crammed a lot into the month.

I can’t begin to articulate how difficult it is to live so far away from family and what feels familiar from my childhood, especially now that I am a mom. I so often wish that I could wiggle my nose (or hop in the car) and magically appear at the end of the dock at the cabin or around the dinner table with family. I often feel like I am stuck in a weird dimension where I have two separate lives that span across the country and rarely intersect and wish that I could be in two places all at one time.  I know that that isn’t possible, but it is a wish that I often feel in my heart.

When I decided to make my trek south on I-35 as a freshman in college I never anticipated extending my stay in what I then thought was cowboy country…I initially thought it would be a nice four year break from the cold my high school’s clicks but always assumed this Minnesotan would go back.

Those plans obviously changed as C began to play a larger and sweeter role in my life. I know that God’s hand was on my decision to come south that freshman year and He has only continued to reiterate His blessing each year that I have been down here through C, our church, our family and friends. I love the life that we have in Texas…I just so often wish I could have both.

When I was up North I missed my life in Texas and now that I am back, I miss my life up north…to sum it all up, I guess I am in the midst of a major lesson in contentment and realizing that I need to enjoy the moment and the life that the Lord has so graciously blessed me with…so, here’s to contentment and sweet memories that were made up north!

Gram and Grandpa…thanks for all the memories and for letting us spend the month with you…we love you so much!

 

IMG_3675 IMG_3661

Happy Tuesday.

Be blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment