Monday, July 12, 2010

My ‘Big’ Little Brother

About a year ago, my brother, J, married his college sweetheart, A,and the two moved out to the coast so that J could pursue his childhood dream of restoring wooden boats.

C, B and I were able to visit J & A last fall.  We enjoyed getting a glimpse of their new life together on the coast. We also got to see the boat that J was working on from a distance, at that point it looked rather worn and in need of MUCH love.

Jeff IYRS

From what I understand, J and his classmate took the boat completely apart and restored or replaced every aspect of it.

As the fall turned into spring, J and a classmate completed the boat’s restoration and this is the final result before it got officially launched into the harbor…

2010 - June Newport Trip 036 

Isn’t that beautiful? It really makes me feel like a proud big sister. I wish that I could have participated in Launch Day in person, my parent’s photos reveal a really fun and special day in J & A’s life.

 2010 - June Newport Trip 030

I was told that there is a tradition that every boat launched has a bouquet of flowers that gets thrown into the water in the boat’s honor (something to do with good luck)…

2010 - June Newport Trip 079

J in his boat…

2010 - June Newport Trip 121

J, A and a classmate enjoying a ride.

2010 - June Newport Trip 132

J’s boat back in the shop.

2010 - June Newport Trip 147

All of the J’s classmates’ boats.

2010 - June Newport Trip 138 

J’s cheerleaders… A and Maddie Dog.  Rumor has it that Maddie came up to the shop after hours and on weekends to keep J company…she really is a shop dog in the making.

Our entire family is proud of J for following his dream and proud of this big first in his life.

I am proud of A too. I am humbled by her support of J’s dream. Her willingness to move to a place where J could pursue this dream is so selfless. I am so glad that they have been able to make special memories together this past year.

It’s hard to believe that my little brother are growing up!

Happy Early Anniversary!

Be blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment