Saturday, May 1, 2010

2 Things…

I have learned 2 things about my wife this week.

1) She is incredibly creative.  Of course I know she  is creative, but I got a glimpse in to a different aspect of her creative side.  She wanted a new sewing machine last Christmas and so she asked for one and got it.  Now I didn't see the value in a sewing machine, a 12” sliding compound miter saw yes, but not a sewing machine.   It didn't make sense to me at the time.  It does now.  She has taken to that sewing machine like a duck to water.  Now most of the things she makes is baby related (shocker) or clothing for her.  These two areas don’t really fall into my wheelhouse so to speak, but when I see the reactions of others I can tell that she has done a pretty spiffy job.  An example (I am a big example person, which S will attest to) is last weekend we had a baby shower at our house for my dear cousin and her fiancé.  Well S had made a little onesie/skirt combo for there little girl.  Since we have a boy I haven’t been exposed to much baby girl stuff, but this shower genuinely scared/confused me.  Baby girl clothes just don't do much for me.  Not that boy’s clothes do much either, but ruffles?  Really?  Sorry, I digress.  So S made this little combo that when opened elicited a few gasps (not exaggerating at all).  Like I said, I don’t know newborn clothes fashion to save my life, but I do know people’s reactions and they were impressed.  Which made me so very proud.

2) She is an amazing mother.  Of course I know she is an amazing mother, but once again I got a glimpse into another aspect of her motherhood in which she shines.  She went on a prayer retreat Friday night with our church.  This was the first time she was going to spend the night away from B.  After I got home (she and a friend had left about 20 minutes before I got home and a buddy waited with B until I got home) it took me all of 3 minutes before I had to call her and ask a question about B.  At that point I realized that I took myriad things that she does for B for granted.  You would think that I would be able to gather some foodage for him to munch on for supper.  You would be wrong.  He has been alive for more than 13 months now and I realized in an instant that I hadn’t gotten a beat on what he actually eats.  Apparently a little food fairy flies in a prepares his food for him.  Now I feed him often and can do that quite well I might add, but never gave thought as to what he actually eats or how it gets made.  I hate to even think about what I else I take for granted, but ashamedly I know there is more.  At any rate, I just want to say thanks to S for being an amazing mother and covering my short-comings.

1 comment:

  1. What a wonderful thing to say about your wife. And I learned so much from her by just hanging out and chatting. She really is very creative and talented. She will make capturing your family's memories a joy, that you will be able to cherish for years to come. How wonderful.

    ReplyDelete