Saturday, May 1, 2010

Catch Up, My First Night Away & Panic

Last week got away from me…I’m not sure why…but it did so I am playing catch up with my posting, not that anyone is that interested in our life’s happenings but that way if I ever get around to making a “Slurp” book of our blog as a family memento I will be caught up. It was a pretty typical week as weeks around our house go.  B was able to enjoy some time outside in his swing…

IMG_2427

While swinging, B decided that it might be fun to play with the dvd player’s remote…we joke that he could have absolutely no toys and be totally content, as long as he had a remote, phone or car keys at arms length!

Towards the end of the week, B and I worked on a special surprise project for some special woman in our lives (hint hint wink wink) Ella helped cheer B on!

IMG_2423IMG_2419 IMG_2435

The highlight of our actual week was a surprise visit from B’s Minnesota grandpa (my dad). He had been down in San Antonio on business and was able to stop through Cowtown before catching his flight back home…what a treat! It is rare that I get to spend time with just my dad…it really was quite a treat!

This weekend I attended my first ever Prayer Overnight put on by our churches woman’s ministry. I have to admit that I have thought of many excuses as to why I haven’t been able to attend this overnight in the past…and this spring, when push came to shove, couldn’t think of a legitimate excuse and really felt like I needed to attend. 

The word overnight means just that, overnight and away from home!  This meant  that I would be away from both C and B for an entire night…something I hadn’t done since B was born. 

Friends who had attended this retreat in the past had told me that it would be incredible , and it was just that! I had been intimidated by the thought of having several hours where I had nothing to do but be still, pray and read Scripture…it really is amazing how that time flew by. I left the retreat renewed, convicted, encouraged and ready to keep on keeping on back at home. It is so neat to experience God’s Word, Hebrews 4:12 is so true (“For the Word of God is living and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates  even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart.” )! I was challenged and convicted by Scripture in ways that I have never been before.

This is where I was blessed to spend the morning of the overnight(who knew that Texas was so beautiful?).  I had a cup of coffee, a little fold-up chair, a blanket, my journal and a Bible…no cell phone (no service), no computer, no laundry…nothing just this view and time with my Heavenly Father…what a gift!  I am still trying to process the overnight and my time away…I am sure that little bits and pieces will come out as I get back into my routine this weekend and next week.

IMG_2436

One thing I learned, that I am humbled to admit, is that I often treat time with my Heavenly Father as an item to be checked off my “to-do list”, just like brushing my teeth, getting B fed or even making the weekly grocery list. When I do “find” time, I struggle to allow the words that I read to really penetrate my heart.   I typically read and then rush into the hustle and bustle of my day…I don’t give Him the time that He deserves…I squeeze Him in as somewhat of an inconvenience rather than remember that He is my Heavenly Father, the Creator of Heaven and earth!  This retreat reaffirmed my need to reevaluate my heart…to really have a heart check if you will.

I want to encourage anyone reading to try to do this on your own. I don’t think a formal retreat-like setting is necessary, though it is nice to get away every once in awhile. A friend and I talked about the need to be intentional about spending time “away” more often and really, what a necessity it is- especially with the  demands (and joys) of being a wife and a mom.  Time “away” could be in a park, in the botanic gardens, at a coffee shop, in the backyard, on the front porch, in a comfy couch or oversized chair…it really is simply allowing yourself to get to a point/place of being still, of  turning off the distractions of life and really trying to listen to what God wants to say to us. If you do it, I know that God will bless you and the time…and in turn your family!

My moment of panic (from the title) came when I got home from the overnight. I was welcomed home to one happy husband and one happy, yet very tired little boy.  I was able to get some good B time in before he headed down for his afternoon nap, upon which C politely excused himself to the backyard to work on some yard work. Having the house to myself I went to check my email and saw that a post had been made on our blog…at first, I thought that someone had hacked into the place where I type my many rambles about life and our family…I called C over to the computer to assess the situation and as I continued reading, realized that C was the “hacker” I had quickly become concerned about.  I am so humbled by his words…they mean more than he knows. I love that our Creator programmed our hearts to need love and affirmation…it was almost as if C’s post (whether he intended it or not) filled up my “love/affirmation-tank”.  He not only did that, but also cleaned the bathrooms!!!! Seriously! Now I am really regretting all of those excuses I made in the past to not attend the prayer overnights…no, I am just kidding. But it was such a gift, knowing that B had been loved, cared for and kept safe while I was away…and a gift to realize that my time away stretched both C and I both together and individually.

Thank You Lord for using swings, grandpas, prayer overnights, blog posts and bathrooms to remind us of Your goodness and Your blessings!

Happy Saturday!

Be Blessed!

  IMG_2438   

(C & B watching famous two minute race together before B’s nap-I love these boys!)

No comments:

Post a Comment