Monday, May 3, 2010

Humbled by Fingerprinting

Whenever someone asks me what I do, I honestly struggle with giving them a concise and simple answer…I feel like I am met with potpourri-like tasks each week. Please don’t hear me as complaining, the variety can be quite refreshing, and my schedule rarely gets mundane!

One of the potpourri-like tasks that I recently was tasked with was painting about 3o little hand prints on pot holders (a sweet mother’s day gift). I found myself amazed as I used a paint brush to paint light blue paint on each little hand…as I painted, I couldn’t help but notice how different each little hand was. Some were chubby and thick, while others were thin and narrow, some of the hands were dark, some of the hands were light, some fingers were long, while others were quite short and stout…Each hand made different prints, they were each unique…no two were the same!

Painting each hand humbled me…Who are we to have such a creative Creator?

Psalm 139: 13-16 reads

“For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my other’s womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well. My frame was not hidden from you when I was made in the secret place. When I was woven together in the depths of the earth, your eyes say my unformed body. All the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be.”

It is so humbling to remember that our Heavenly Father knows each of our names, he knows how many hairs are on each of our heads and he knows exactly what our finger prints look like because He created us.  Even more, He knows beyond our unique physical attributes…He knows our hearts, He “knows when I sit and when I rise; [he] perceives my thoughts from afar. [He] discerns my going out and my lying down; [He] is familiar with all my ways. Before a word is on my tongue [He know[s] it completely…”(Psalm 139: 2-4)

How great is our God! I am so grateful and humbled by this reminder that I received as I worked to accomplish my seemingly random task…it makes me wonder what lessons might be in store through my next task, whatever that task may be? It also reminds me that I need to stand in awe of my Creator and thank Him for His creativity more often.

___________________________________________________

Typing this post also reminded me of a song that I tried to take to heart in middle and  high school (when I had a hard time understanding and accepting why God had made me the way that He had)…

Fingerprints Of God by, Steven Curtis Chapman

I can see the tears filling your eyes
And I know where they're coming from
They're coming from a heart that's broken in two
By what you don't see
The person in the mirror
Doesn't look like a magazine
Oh but when I look at you
It's clear to me
That I can see the fingerprints of God
When I look at you
I can see the fingerprints of God
And I know it's true
You're a masterpiece that all creation
Quietly applauds
And you're covered with
The fingerprints of God
Never has there been and never again
Will there be another you
Fashioned by God's hand and perfectly planned
To be just who you are
And what He's been creating
Since the first beat of your heart
Is a living, breathing
Priceless work of art
And I can see the fingerprints of God
When I look at you
I can see the fingerprints of God
And I know it's true
You're a masterpiece that all creation
Quietly applauds
And you're covered with
The fingerprints of God
Just look at you
You're a wonder in the making
And God's not through
In fact, He's just getting started!

Happy Monday!

Be Blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment