Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Choo Choo Book

B’s Aunt A and Uncle J sent this “Choo Choo” book to our neck of the wood for Christmas. J used to enjoy playing with Thomas the Tank engine when he was little and must have assumed that B would enjoy the little blue train just the same…WHICH HE DOES!!!

For whatever reason, this has become the book of all books in our house.  When we ask B to pick out a book, he picks out Thomas Lost At Sea.  When we pick out a book to read to B, he listens to our selection and then hands us Thomas as if to imply “I sat through that book, now I would like to listen to my favorite.”

C and I have gotten quite accustomed to reading about characters like Ferdinand, Percy, Sir Topom Hat, the Logging Locos, the Island of Sodor etc.  All names that had never been uttered in our neck of the wood until about a month ago.

C claims to almost have the book memorized…though that really isn’t that difficult considering the little paperback pages are read more than 3-4 times a day.

IMG_4647

In effort to keep C and I sane…I selfishly came up with the idea of heading to the library to check out some DIFFERENT Thomas “Choo Choo” books to read.

B seemed pretty excited about his first trip to the library…this is him in the car holding his very own library book tote.

IMG_4632

IMG_4633

When we arrived we headed straight for the children’s section. It was a little boy’s dream…a whole line of books just waiting to be pulled off the shelf!

Before the potential chaos of books being plowed off the shelf ensued, we sat down and read a couple books that initially caught B’s attention.

IMG_4634

Then something even more exciting caught B’s attention…

IMG_4635

A kid-friendly computer that he could sit at, look at, push buttons…and listen too!

IMG_4636

B had absolutely no idea how to play the computer game that appeared on the screen…but that didn’t stop him…he loved every minute of “working”.

After saying “Bye Bye” to the computer, we checked out three books. I paid my $0.90 overdue fine from probably two years ago and then headed home for lunch, story time and a nap.

B was anxious to look through his new barrowed books in the car.

IMG_4637

After lunch, I brought B’s book tote into his room to read the new books before naptime…I was so anxious to read about a NEW Thomas adventure so I started with the one Thomas book we had found at the library.  About two pages in, B climbed off my lap and headed for…you’ll never guess…

IMG_4647

Yes…Thomas Lost at Sea!

So, we read (yet again) the infamous Thomas book! My selfishly motivated plan fizzled, just like Thomas’ fire box! 

I have to admit, I don’t mind reading the same book over and over again, I know there will be a day when he will be able to read on his own and not “need” me like he does now…plus the entire library outing was fun memory for B and I.

A & J…thank you for the book! B is being sure to squeeze every morsel of goodness out of it!

Happy Tuesday.

Be blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment