Friday, June 18, 2010

It’s a Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood…

Bwsweep.jpg (taken from wikipedia)

I recently “read” (really listened to) the book  The Simple Faith of Mister Rogers: Spiritual Insights from the World's Most Beloved Neighbor by, Amy Hollingsworth.

As a little girl, and even now as a grown up, I never knew that Mister Rogers had the faith that he did.  Listening to the book provided a really neat glimpse into Mister' Rogers life, he really did first and foremost have a heart for the Lord and secondly a heart for little ones.

Since listening to the book, I discovered another book that someone gave us as a baby gift, The Mister Rogers Parenting Resource Book: Helping to Understand Your Young Child and encourage learning and pretending by, Fred Rogers.  I had honestly forgotten about the book until this afternoon when it caught my eye sitting on a book shelf as B and I were playing together.

My new admiration for Mister Rogers and heightened curiosity led me to open the book and read a few pages…

In my couple minutes of reading I found this that stood out to me:

“Early childhood is the most important part of our life. It informs all that we do thereafter. All our lives, we rework the same struggles from our childhood needing to feel loved, finding a healthy balance between independence and dependence, being able to handle separation from loved ones, dealing with aggression, and working on self control…”  p.15

This is exactly what I learned in all of my early childhood education classes in college.  However, at that time in my life I lacked any personal classroom experience or children of my own. Retrospectively, I realize that I didn’t have a grasp of importance of children’s earliest years.

It is true, the lessons that B is in the midst of learning are lessons that C and I are still putting into practice  on a regular basis…I am humbled by the task of parenting…humbled that the experiences that B is experiencing right now will have impact on his later life, but also so grateful to experience such a privilege.

Thank You Lord for entrusting B to our care. And thank You for Mister Rogers and his legacy.  Amen

Happy Friday!

Be Blessed.

 http://www.amazon.com/Simple-Faith-Mister-Rogers-Spiritual/dp/0849918944/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1276896980&sr=1-3

No comments:

Post a Comment