Thursday, February 11, 2010

Snowy Adventure

I feel like a little kid in regard to this snow, it is making me feel really nostalgic for my childhood in Minnesota, where we would more often than not wake up to days like this in the winter.

With that said, I so desire for our children to be able to enjoy snow…maybe not in the same way that I did growing up…but I do want to take advantage of any/every opportunity we can get…it really is one of my simple joys!

So during B’s nap, I decided to send some photos to be printed. After B woke up, I put him back in his snow suit, bundled him up in the stroller (with my rain coat as a “waterproof barrier’ because the snow is so wet) donned my rain boots (with wool socks), ski jacket, hat and mittens and set off on a snowy/slushy walk to go pick the photos up.

 IMG_1289 

The walk was quite a workout, pushing the stroller through the snow/slush was a little more difficult than I anticipated…plus, it really is pretty warm outside.

As we walked I noticed how quiet it is outside. I love that about snow, it not only covers things up to make them look so beautiful, but it also muffles and mutes sounds…when it is falling it really does feel like you are in a snow globe and time is sort of seems to stand still.

IMG_1288

B seemed to enjoy the little adventure, he babbled and “talked” some as we walked…it was a little bumpy as we went off-roading a couple times, I think he enjoyed that part!

IMG_1291

We found this little snow family on our walk…how great,  a Daddy, Momma and Baby snow family all outside enjoying the snow just like B and I were! (The dad is wearing a cowboy hat…only in Texas!)

IMG_1287 

On our way home, I saw a family of five rolling a huge snow ball in the park near our house. The snow ball was probably about three and half feet in diameter…there were two smaller (yet still quite large) snow balls just waiting to be stacked on top of the big one to make what I would assume to be a large snowman.  The giggles and chatter amongst the family warmed my heart…I am sure that the three kids will remember today for quite awhile!

IMG_1292

This is what it looked like when we got home from our walk.

Though B will not remember our little adventure in the Texas snow, I know that I will and I am grateful for the memory. I am sure that we were quite a sight as we/I trudged through the snow and slush…but it was worth it, it was fun…it was a memory!

Oh, to be a kid again!

1 comment:

  1. My prayer is that you will never stop being a little kid in your heart, and that the "snow globe magic" will always bring back memories of winter in Minnesota; home, family, bonfires, wet mittens and socks, cold fingers and toes, hot chocolate and cookies. (and the best pond hockey rink in Hennepin County!!!) Thank you for sharing this part of your life with B, for creating new snow globe memories with him. You are an awesome mom. I'll be waiting for pictures of the THREE of you building your own snow man (or snow pup???) this evening. I'm just thinking it is the next chapter in this snowy adventure!!! Hugs and kisses on cold noses and cheeks!!!

    ReplyDelete