Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Lesson from the Kitchen Sink

A friend gave me this handwritten verse framed several years ago.

IMG_8850

I initially had it propped against my computer at school as a reminder of WHO I was ultimately working for and serving each school day.  It was helpful on the many challenging  and patience-trying days that teaching little ones presents, the days when I wanted to throw my hands in the air and give up.

Later, I moved the verse to the window sill above our kitchen sink (hence the water stains along the bottom edge and splash marks across the frame). The move came as result of my work’s move home.  I thought the place near the sink was appropriate as I knew I would be spending lots and lots of time standing at the sink washing dishes, cleaning bottles, giving baths, etc. etc.  At the time, I was thrilled about my move home as it was my ultimate dream come true…a role I had dreamed of from before I could remember.

Recently, I’ve become ‘immune’ and rather apathetic to this simple framed reminder that resides in my current work space. I’ve been simply going through the motions of tackling daily tasks while resentment has been building in my heart, simply waiting to erupt. I humbly admit that I’ve chosen to disregard WHO I am serving and working for as I wash dishes, prepare meals, give baths, change diapers, cycle laundry, vacuum…and work in this role that I had always dreamed of.

The resentment stemming from my immunity and apathy towards truth has been simmering as I have tried to keep my cool and keep any erupting at bay justifying my feelings as our inability to get out…between my little hiccup, green noses, pesky coughs and low grade fevers we’ve been cooped up at home…with lots of energy and not way to burn it off.

And then…BOOOM…the explosion that I had been trying to prevent happened as I realized my heart and its jealous feelings toward C for getting to go to work, for getting to escape the monotony of life between the breakfast table and bedtime stories. Jealous that he isn’t faced with the loads of laundry, messy faces, whining, tantrums, accidents, potty training, grocery shopping, meal making and the likes.

Tonight, with the help of some accountability, I humbly admit that I have let my own selfishness get in the way of this verse’s calling in my life...hence the eruption. I have forgotten to find joy amidst the seemingly menial tasks that each day presents and forgotten that each task provides evidence of blessings that God has sent our way…messy faces mean full tummies and loads of laundry mean clothes that cover our backs. I have lost sight of WHO I am actually folding clothes for, cleaning up after…loving with my acts of service.

Our kitchen is ‘closed’ for the evening. I pray that tomorrow morning, when it ‘reopens’ and I find myself standing in front of  the sink, returning to work to prepare A’s bottle and our little family’s breakfast that my heart will be reminded and encouraged to keep on keeping on and remember truly WHO I am serving.

Be blessed.

M, thank you for the verse…who knew it would provide such humbling encouragement for my momma heart.

1 comment:

  1. What a great reminder to us all! I have the verse YOU gave ME during my foster parting years in my kitchen as well - 'Surely God is my help; The Lord is the one who sustains me.' I love you, friend!

    ReplyDelete