Monday, March 12, 2012

Callused Knees vs. Instant Gratification

When trouble barrels down the chute or I have joy I simply can’t contain, I typically pick up the phone and wait for familiar voices to provide encouragement, prayer or cheers of joy.  I find my heart satiated by the instant gratification of a good phone call and often let that be enough in the midst of a trial or triumph.  It’s my heart’s desire for these phone calls to take a second place to the Ultimate ‘Calling’ that needs to be done.

I am convicted by Paul’s words and description of prayer in Ephesians 3:14-19…

“For this reason I kneel before the Father, from whom every family in heaven and on earth derives its name. I pray that out of his glorious riches he may strengthen you with power through his Spirit in your inner being, so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith. And I pray that you, being rooted and established in love, may have power, together with all the Lord’s holy people, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ, and to know this love that surpasses knowledge-that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God.”

I desire to have callused knees…

I desire for my first response to anything/everything in life to be to drop to my knees (literally and figuratively depending on the situation’s specifics) and pray.

I desire to earnestly pray Paul’s words over our kiddo's hearts as they grow and Lord willingly begin their own faith journeys.

I desire for others…C, family, friends, neighbors, store employees, co-workers, etc. etc. to be strengthened and encouraged by God’s power…that they may know that width, depth, length and height of Christ’s love.

Next time I call…please hold me accountable by asking if my knees are callused.

Be blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment