Sunday, March 11, 2012

Completed and Hung.

I have been working on this project since our little Pinterest craft night. 

The project initially caught my eye because it seemed to be one that wouldn’t cost hardly anything.  I assumed I could use scrap fabric left over from other projects I’ve started and hoped I might even get C to build me a frame to stretch the fabric around using scrap wood from our bathroom renovation. 

I’ll be honest, I never imagined I would ever see this frugal project through to completion…and assumed the states would collect dust and be forgotten amidst the myriad other projects waiting to be completed in my sewing bin.

To my surprise (and delight) with the help of some extended afternoon naps (and a couple late nights) I actually completed it without spending anything!

A couple of the women at the craft night asked what I might do with the map when it was complete. One suggested using it as a way to remember different trips our family has taken.  Being one who loves to memorialize special happenings in our family’s life, I ran with the idea and printed little flags to attach to the map (with the help of buttons) to remind us of places we’ve been together since our wedding in 2006.

The project itself was really quite simple…I’ll be honest, I didn’t follow the tutorial to a tee and really just did it how my little brain thought it might work Smile.

1. Trace the states onto tissue paper from a large map

2. Cut the tissue paper states out and pin them to random scrap fabric

3. Lay fabric states out

4. Find a large piece of backing fabric

5. Iron states onto backing fabric (it’s like putting a puzzle together) with iron on adhesive

6. Once the states are ironed on sew around each state…it doesn’t have to be perfect (the edges fray and look really neat)

7. Ask someone handy to make a wooden frame

8. Stretch fabric over frame and stable with a staple gun

9. Enjoy!

IMG_8722IMG_8899IMG_8900

It is fun to imagine what little flags might pop up over the next several years…I look forward to being reminded of lots of future memories and am grateful for the memories we already have.

Happy crafting.

Be blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment