Monday, November 1, 2010

Pause

Today has been one of those days when I would love to press pause...really for a few reasons.

Let me explain...

First...B has recently discovered his own little will. Yes, this is exciting because it means that he is hitting a very important developmental milestone...with that said, I am missing my almost always compliant little buddy!!! I am very aware that this new avenue could be long as B discovers his own feelings and C and I discover creative ways to try to reason with our little guy, teach him appropriate obedience and try our best to extend grace all while keeping our sanity in tact.

Second...It has finally started to get cool in our neck of the wood...something I praise God for!!! The cooler nights mean warmer "jammies" are a must...we tried putting socks on B's feet a couple nights in a row only to discover them pulled off within minutes. In effort to prevent cold little toes, I set off to purchase warm footed sleepers for the fall and winter.  As I shopped for the sleepers I discovered that B's weight and height put him in a 3T!!!! This is the last size of footed sleepers, the next size up is footless!  It's as if we have blinked and B has gained several inches and pounds...it is unreal...he really isn't a baby any more. (I really shouldn't be that surprised though because our pediatrician commented at his 18 month appointment that his height is comparable to a 33 month old!)

Third...This reason is similar to the second.  The other day, to our surprise and astonishment we noticed B's little foot poking out of his sandals.  These particular sandals are the size SEVEN shoes that I bought a couple months ago!  I proceeded to try some of his other shoes on, only to find his little toes jammed inside each leather encasement.  This reality lead us back to the store to discover B's foot had yet again grown almost an entire size...so as of today, B is donning size EIGHT shoes!!! Though, on a side note, I think his new kicks are adorable and all little boy (I'll try to capture a photo of them to share).

The only consolation for each of these reasons is the reality that our big little guy is still little and totally in need of his momma and daddy.  He continues with the "la luuus" and holds his arms up when he wants your attention or wants to be picked up.  His need for love and affection is most obvious before bed, when his busyness slows down and he cuddles as he listens to stories and is rocked.  I savor these moments when I can rub his little back, kiss his little cheeks and hold his little hands.  It's the moments in the rocking chair that I realize I can't press pause and need to appreciate each and every moment, even if the moments are hard to accept because he really is growing up before our very eyes!

Here's to great wills, large jammies, big feet and little buddies!

Happy Monday.

Be blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment