Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Crazy Life Change on I-35

While B is enjoying his morning nap, I have felt convicted to type a post about a life changing experience that C and I enjoyed this weekend. 

C likes to listen to audio books, they have become a huge part of his daily commute between home and work.  Last week, C asked me if there was anything that I wanted to “read”/listen to on our way down to the Hill Country this past weekend.  I didn’t have any good suggestions so per his sister’s suggesting and seeing the title on John Piper’s blog, C down loaded Crazy Love: Overwhelmed by a Relentless God by Francis Chan and I am so glad and thankful that he did!

Listening to the book left both C and I convicted on multiple levels and spurred on some incredible conversation between the two of us (as B slept in the back seat) about our own personal walks with our precious Lord and Savior.  I found myself frantically searching for scrap pieces of paper in my purse and in the glove box of the car to take notes on and write down different scriptural references.

I am still processing a lot of what I have heard, but here are a few tid-bits that I wrote down, that I found myself convicted by, I am still processing it all:

“the point of our life is to point to God.”

“if life were stable, I wouldn’t ever need God’s help”

“the greatest knowledge we can ever have is knowing that God treasures us”

“too much of the good life becomes toxic in regard to our spiritual lives- it chokes God out slowly”

“lukewarm people think about life on earth more than eternal life”

“lukewarm people are slaves to the god of control, they don’t live by faith because their lives are structured, they don’t have to depend on God.”

“partially sanitized lives (thinking you are doing what is right with your own power) does not equal holiness”

“Jesus’ call to commitment is clear, He wants all or nothing”

“God desires a posture of obedient & surrender from us”

“God deserves the very best I have, not the leftovers (of my time, money, thoughts)”

The entire book is filled with references to verses that are both  familiar and new that support these tid-bits. It also shares testimonies of people all over the world who have crazy relentless love for Jesus Christ.

I would highly recommend this book. It is by no means a feel good, warm fuzzy type book…it is deep and it goes places that aren’t comfortable…but places of comfort aren’t necessarily places of growth!  I am humbly realizing that much of my life is spent in lukewarm territory, I do want to dare to be crazy…to be crazy in love with my Heavenly Father… to be crazy grateful for my salvation…to be crazy aware of His provision and blessings in my life  and to be crazy deliberate in my efforts to share my faith with others!

 

p.s. Thanks for suggesting the book Aunt B! We are so grateful!

1 comment:

  1. sara, those quotes are so strong and convicting. thanks for sharing. we too LOVE books on tape, especially sermons. helps pass the time in a productive fashion.

    ReplyDelete