Thursday, February 24, 2011

Theme Song

I thought this week would be bittersweet…and I was correct as our moving week has finally arrived. 

On Monday, we started ferrying furniture from our first little house to our new rental house.

As of today, our little house looks more like a shell and less like our first home.  Photos have been removed from walls, knick knacks have been packed up and we have seen countless dust bunnies fly and flutter around rooms as furniture has been moved. 

As we have packed and moved I have felt several emotions.

I have felt excitement as I know the move is because our little family is expanding. 

I have felt anticipation as I have unpacked and wondered what it will be like to be a family of four.

I have felt sadness as I think about my favorite aspects of our first house…the kitchen sink (where B still bathes), the front room…where we spend so much of our family time, the backyard, the front porch…the proximity to our favorite ice cream and breakfast spots.

I have felt overwhelmed as my heart has been flooded with memories while packing each room of the house.

I have felt uncertainty as I wonder how we could ever make another place feel so comfortable, so safe…so us.

While packing and moving, I have found myself humming the lyrics of this song.  I know the song has deeper meaning than moving away from your first house…but really feel like it has provided a good reminder for me.

The truth is, our house is just a house, it’s temporary…as is everything this side of Heaven.

I know I’ll cry when we pull out of the driveway for the last time…but am so grateful for this chapter in our family’s life.

No comments:

Post a Comment