Friday, January 6, 2012

A Christmas Birthday Celebration

The teacher in me enjoys books…not of the chapter sorts but of the story sorts. Our basement is filled with boxes yet to be unpacked of books from my classroom…books I someday hope the read with our little ones.

With that said, whenever I come across a good picture book, I find my typical frugalness transfer to that of an impulse buyer all in effort to provide our kiddos with as many print/illustration opportunities as possible.

Before Christmas, while I was attending MOPS, I stumbled upon this book at the church bookstore. I casually flipped through it and found myself delighted by the bright illustrations and rhyme of the story.

IMG_2699

IMG_2740

IMG_2742

Reading the book triggered a little plan for Christmas Eve in my heart, the plan included cake, decorations and a simple birthday celebration.

On Christmas Eve, we set out to bake a birthday cake and decorate the house in Jesus’ honor.

B helped bake the cake…

IMG_2534

IMG_2562

IMG_2572

Because of the special occasion, B got a chance to taste the batter…he SO enjoyed the finger-tip-sized treat!

IMG_2606

IMG_2614

While the cake was in the oven, we worked on decorating our living room. I had grand ideas of B learning how to make a paper chain…

  IMG_2621

He was more interested in the roll of tape!

IMG_2646

IMG_2651

But did make sure to tell me that I was doing a good job with the help of a hug and a kiss!

IMG_2643

IMG_2688

Little A cheered us on from the comfort of her excersaucer…

IMG_2669

C acted as the chief ‘decoration hanger’…and enjoyed help from his little apprentice!

IMG_2700

IMG_2703

Once the decorations were hung, we were officially ready to celebrate the most important birthday ever celebrated!

IMG_2723

Just before naptime, B helped frost and decorate the cake…

 IMG_2733IMG_2737

And then set it aside as we waited patiently for Christmas morning to arrive.

C had the idea of enjoying the cake as a special breakfast treat on Christmas morning. We sang ‘Happy Birthday’ and then B blew out the candles!

IMG_2824IMG_2827

The cake acted as a fantastic breakfast treat…and proved to be the start of a sweet family tradition.

IMG_2741

Be blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment