Thursday, December 15, 2011

Lefse & Spritz!

The other day was a ‘good day’…which we took full advantage of by baking lefse & spritz cookies!  Both were holiday ‘staples’ around my (S) house when I was younger.

B helped mix the Spritz dough before his nap…

IMG_8295

While the dough chilled, we worked on making the lefse which was quite a labor of love, if I don’t say so myself! I would like to think that my Scandinavian blood might encourage me to take this undertaking on more regularly than Christmas time…but I still have a lot to learn and quite a bit of perfecting to do before lefse becomes a staple in our neck of the wood.

This was the process…

The extra height from the stool helped me knead the dough.

IMG_8296

Then we rolled it out…

IMG_8298

Rolled it flat…

IMG_8300

And used what I call the ‘adorable Scandinavian flipper’ to pick it up to transfer to the griddle…

IMG_8301IMG_8303IMG_8302IMG_8305

The undertaking was really a two person job as the rolling and cooking needed to happen simultaneously to get our entire batch completed before naptime was up…all in effort to keep little curious hands safely away from the hot griddle.

IMG_8306IMG_8310

Once B woke up, we made the spritz…

IMG_8333

He called the dough ‘Cookie Noodles’ as it came out of the cookie press. Smile

IMG_8315IMG_8316IMG_8329

The best part was decorating…there were sprinkles all over the counter and floor…Ella couldn’t have been more grateful!

IMG_8327

IMG_8328

We divvied the lefse up amongst family and friends and are enjoying the spritz noodle cookies that B worked so diligently to decorate!

We treasure days like this!

Be blessed.

2 comments:

  1. how fun! i'm not familiar with either of these, so it was fun to see the process!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fun! My family celebrates a Swedish Christmas with meatballs, marzipan, and some kind of weird fruit bread with a funny name. I love carrying on these traditions! We miss you all!!

    ReplyDelete