Wednesday, May 4, 2011

My Training Wheels…

Have officially been taken off!

As B, A and I dropped my mom off at the airport to head north this afternoon.

We have truly been spoiled to have had another set of hands to love on B and little A the past few weeks as we have transitioned to being a family of four.  Don’t get me wrong, we have been blessed by family, friends and other well wishers who have provided us with extra hands, gifts and meals….but there has been something about having my mom here that has provided me with an extra sense of security as C and I have entered the unchartered territory of parenting multiple little ones.

It has been a gift to have company (and really a cheerleader) during the day…not to mention,  B benefited from having a consistent playmate to play “diggins” and choo choos with! 

I enjoyed having someone help me change what feels like a myriad of diapers…someone to keep me company during midnight feedings…someone (other than C) who I feel like I can let my guard down with who can see me at my worst (and love me despite it)…someone who can wrangle wiggly little hands in busy parking lots…and another person to help deflect the daily tantrums and antics of a two year old adjusting to being a big brother!

I will be honest,  I shed tears as I pulled away from the airport terminal this afternoon…B was sweet and kept telling me “Bwess youu!  Bwess youuu” as he heard me sniffle from his car seat (I think he thought I was sneezing).

I know that it was time…my mom needed to get back to life in her neck of the wood…and it was time for C and I to get acquainted to life as a family of four…to figure out how to tag team and balance the needs of a newborn and two year old…but there is something about having my mom close by (with so much change) that provides my heart with such a sense of calm and peace.  

I am thankful for the telephone and know if I wanted I could dial her number and lament with her over a super poopy diapers or midnight feedings that have gone awry.

I pray that our kiddos will feel the same way about me someday. I pray that they will know that I am there and that I am available…throughout the lessons of preschool, the excitement of elementary school, the drama of middle school and the anticipation of high school and beyond. 

IMG_5443

Mom,

Thank you for putting your life on hold and blessing us! I hope you enjoy your sleep and bask in the peace and quiet…if the quiet becomes too deafening, you know my number…if I can hear the phone ring over a newborn’s cry and “diggin” sound effects…I’ll pick up so you can get your fill of what has become our life…our very blessed, but very choatic life!

I love you! (Happy Early Mother’s Day)

Be blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment