Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Sad Sad Day!

It seems that the time has come when Mr. B seems to think he doesn’t need and afternoon nap any longer!

A few months ago, we transitioned from calling naptime to F.O.B. time (flat on bed time)  in effort to encourage some quiet/down time where B could read, sing, talk to his stuffed animals (and yes, hopefully sleep). The name change worked for a bit, but who am I kidding to think that it would work forever.

This was just a few short days ago…

IMG_0801

In recent days (I have to give him credit for at least obeying and staying on his bed)…

IMG_0803

And this is the story as of this afternoon…IMG_0873

He was back and forth from the bathroom, asking for water, snacks, more books, less books….totally and blatantly disregarding our expectations for staying in bed and being quiet!!!

Seriously?!?

What is this momma to do? Naptime is when I get things done!!!!

As I begin to surrender the white flag of our current F.O.B strategy, I’d love suggestions as to how we might be able to ‘save’ quiet time…at least until Kindergarten so little A can get her rest and so I can tackle the piles of laundry!

Oh, how I desire to have a heart of patience…!!!

Be blessed.

2 comments:

  1. When my son got to that age, I made him part of the team. I explained how if his sister didn't get her nap, she would be cranky and fussy and annoy him to no end. I then made a deal with him. If he would be in his room and quiet so she could sleep, I would back his bedtime up a bit, since he was such a big boy. I only gave him an extra 15 minutes to stay up, but to him it was worth it just to be able to not have to go to bed at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some days, Trip gets a movie so that I can get chores done. One day a week, I hire someone to sit at the house while AK naps, and Trip and I go on a "date". We like swimming, Bass Pro Shop, or just looking at toys at Target... and I also try and fit an errand into the mix :) We tried the "stay in your room/bed" strategy, but failed miserably. So, now I just try and fill the time with something only a big kid can do, and little sister can't.

    ReplyDelete